Ewa Plantation Company

Ewa Mill 1893 (Kamehameha Schools Archives)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Ewa Plantation Company was a large sugar plantation located on the Honouliuli Plain.  The company was first incorporated in 1890 and was a largely self-sufficient community for over 100 years.

Clearing the land began on January 6, 1890 with 15 men, 2 horses, and 9 mules.  During the first year of operaton 22 wells were bored and 775 acres of the Lahaina variety sugar cane were planted.  In April of 1890 the first Japanese laborers arrived at the Ewa Plantation.

Excavation for the mill began in January of 1891.  The first crop in 1892 produced 2,849 tons of sugar.  By 1902 the Ewa Plantation was proclaimed the “The most productive sugar plantation in the world” since it was the first sugar company in the world to  average over 10 tons of sugar per acre.  By 1933 the Ewa Plantation produced over 61,000 tons of sugar per year. The plantation’s land extended from the West Loch of Pearl Harbor to West Oahu’s shorline.

By 1910 the Ewa Plantation Company had a community with a population of approximately 2,500.  The community included several labor camps, the plantation store, clubhouse, hospital and dispensary, and several outlying camps.  There were also about 30 miles of railroad track that serviced the plantation.  The Oahu Railway and Land Company transported sugar from the mill to Honolulu Harbor for shipping.

Sakada’s or Male Filipino laborers who migrated from the Philippines, work the fields of Ewa.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

During the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th 1941 the Ewa Plantation Company incurred damage from machine gun fire and anti-aircraft shelling. There were  a total of 9 causualties as a result.  After the attack the US government took possession of some plantation lands for military use.

E.P. Co. Map 1939

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Ewa Plantation Company is the only sugar plantation in Hawaii to have its own soda water bottling plant.   The soda was bottled in the factory with fresh sugar that grew from the surrounding fields.